Whether you are ending a heterosexual or same sex relationship, if you have separated from your spouse or de facto partner, you will need to address separation of your finances and property to achieve what is known as a ‘property settlement’.

Following separation some financial issues need to be addressed immediately, such as who will pay the mortgage and the utilities, payment of each party’s living expenses, and other pressing issues. In some cases, one party may need to support the other, pending the final resolution of your financial issues.

Whether you are thinking of ending a relationship or have separated from your partner it is a good idea to understand your rights and potential obligations under the law, get in touch with the Blanchfield Nicholls team for a confidential first discussion of your circumstances.

Call +61 2 9994 0130Contact Us